Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Kitchen/Dining Room Renovation - Part 2

Several people have asked me for an update to the renovations I'm doing so here goes:

After getting the cabinets cleaned out and the doors, drawers and hardware removed, I started looking at the ceiling. If you notice in the picture from Part 1, there were these "decorative" beams with luan board above them. I've always hated them but was afraid to mess with them for fear of damaging the cabinets. I decided now was the time to see if there was sheetrock above them.

I removed one of the incandescent light fixtures and sure enough, there was sheetrock above. Bad news was, I didn't know what kind of condition it was in. Whoever put the ceiling up ran the electrical between the board and the sheetrock and twisted and taped the wires. I couldn't leave the electrical like that so the beams and boards had to come down. This project just got a lot bigger.

After removing the beams, boards and furring strips I was disappointed to find water damage to the ceiling.

  


I hate to admit it but this put me into a bit of "analysis paralysis". It took several days of mulling it over before I knew I had to make a decision and get back to work. I couldn't decide if I wanted to tear it all down or try to patch it. I am not a fan of acoustic aka popcorn ceilings but they do help to cover up imperfections. Since a ceiling of new sheetrock (professionally mudded) was not in my budget and since I did have SOME sheetrock on hand, I decided to patch, mud it myself and then put a popcorn ceiling back up.

My son-in-law had offered to help with the kitchen project once he was back in town and since he was, he came over to help tonight. This was awesome because this was definitely NOT a one person job at this point. Through a bit of trial and error, we got some of the damaged areas cut out and replaced. One more big patch tomorrow night and several small patches and we will be ready to mud the ceiling.

This is a shot with all the damaged areas removed








The biggest area partially patched

The hole over the stove patched.

Hopefully we'll have the ceiling finished this weekend and I can finally continue with the original project of sanding and painting the kitchen cabinets. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment